About Me

My photo
I love food. I love cooking. I love drinks. I appreciate proper service. I love restaurants. Not necessarily expensive ones. Rather places with soul and spirit, where gastronomy and guests are respected. I freak out with bad food and neglecting service.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Byron goes pasta

Guess what! I LOOOOVE pasta... tomato and seafood. Especially if they are all together on my plate. There is a very special place in Athens where I believe seafood pasta is by far the best, but I only get there once a year, so I am always looking for alternative sources.

Today I had lunch in Lausanne, Switzerland at a lovely Italian restaurant, called Accademia.
The restaurant belongs to the elegant Hotel Angleterre and facing the Lac Leman without any compromise with a fantastic view to the breathtaking mountains of France. Just perfect. Like the service. You want to sit in the sun. Great, Mr. X. Enjoy! But when 10 minutes later, already half-cooked with a slight sunburn on your forehead, you ask for some shade, the waiters rolls out a 600 kg umbrella stand with a smile within a second and hop you are protected by an elegant white canvas. A big like.

This place is special. Not just because this is a restaurant where Lord Byron wrote his Prisoner of Chillon, but also because the staff is very keen on providing great service.
Here you are Mr. X.Y. Z and not just "Mr Guest". Everyone speaks Italian, so you better memorize that Cozzi means Mussels and don't ask inappropriate questions about the shape of your pasta. Just figure the main ingredients, close your eyes and pick something. It's gonna be fine. I did the same and once my plate appeared, I knew it's gonna be amazing. The spaghetti was soft, but not overcooked, the tomato sauce was sweet with tantalizing basil and parsley taste... and it had tonnes of Cozzi and even more Gambas....  hmmmmmmm... I was thrilled. 

I got only one small issue during my lunch. I had to share my plate, because it looked so amazing, that everyone wanted a bite... Too bad for a food maniac :)

If you are ever around Lausanne, go and try it. Take it easy. Book a table. Drink a glass of Oeil de Perdrix from Neuchâtel and enjoy the view before the pasta arrives. It's gonna be a yummy experience. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment